Instant messaging (IM) "is a type of online chat which offers real-time text transmission over the Internet" .
The Advantages of Instant Messaging
There too many advantages of Instant Messaging to list, so here are some of the main points:
- Quick and Free - There is no need to write letters and pay extortionate amounts on a stamp, only having to wait a week for the reply. With instant messaging, we can quickly send a message that will arrive to the receiver in seconds, and it costs nothing.
- World Interaction - You can speak to anyone, from anywhere in the world. This allows the user to meet new people and even talk to friends who have moved, or are on holiday.
- Commenting - Instant messaging is not just about having private conversations with people, it can also be seen in comments. Comments are a great way to get your view point across and even start a debate. Furthermore, commenting allows a wide variety of people, from age to location, to contribute.
- Helps to Find Your Voice - Following on from the previous point, instant messaging can help you gain confidence to speak to others, whether this is about personal matters or world problems.
- Media Involvement - Instant messaging has become a big part in the reality television industry. This process can allow you to instantly vote or share your views about the programme, and could even get your message broadcast on live TV.
- On the Go Messaging - With the rise of 3G and 4G we can now access the internet and message people on social media sites 24/7. This is great for business talk, or just having a long chat with a friend.
How Mobile Phones Changed IM
Due to the increase in apps on mobile phones, instant messaging has become increasingly popular due to it's free ways to contact. The current top IM apps.